- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 1 onion, about 12 ounces, diced very small
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon ancho chili powder, (or 1 additional Tablespoon chili powder)
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ Teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 2 Teaspoons sea salt
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 1 - 28 ounce can whole tomatoes or fresh, whole tomatoes chopped
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- lime wedges, cilantro, sliced avocado or guacamole, sour cream, grated cheddar
- Place the ground beef, onions, garlic, spices, and sea salt in a 4-quart crockpot. Use a wooden spoon to break up the turkey and mix everything together.
- Cut the ends off the sweet potatoes and trim off any unsightly bits. Then, cut them into quarters lengthwise. Cut the quarters crosswise into chunks about 1½ inches in size.
- Place the sweet potatoes over the top of the turkey mixture.
- Cook for low 8-10 hours, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Taste the chili and add salt to your taste.
- Serve with any and all toppings you desire.